Friday, October 24, 2008

Metaphor (10/28)

Metaphor
I am a puppy learning to be a dog. There are so many ideas and techniques that I feel I have not learned. A puppy is always anxious to become a dog, but it is not possible to just evolve from a puppy to a dog right away in life. This is similar to my feeling as a writer. There are ideas in my mind of how I would like to write but when it comes time to shaping these ideas on paper, I struggle. Puppies learn from dogs, whom they strive to be one day. I learn from professors and teachers, whom I strive to be one day. Teachers are great presenters of knowledge. They also, possess professionalism as authoritative figures to their students. Dogs are teachers to puppies, which is why a puppy’s journey is very similar to my own, metaphorically; we have to overcome certain struggles to reach our goals. One of my struggles is writing and being confident.

I think that I have grown in my knowledge and creativity over the past year, but I feel like I am impaired or challenged in writing thoughts. In high school, I did not spend much time writing; occasionally there were papers assigned but for the most part my writing was absent. As I have reached my sophomore year at Saint John’s University, I have realized what I write matters. Opinions, information, observations, and reflections are several ways in which I have used writing. Through many papers and written assignments, I can judge the quality of my writing. I hope that through this class, I am able to be more thorough and confident in expressing words on paper.

1 comment:

Tyler Youngers said...

Great metaphor to describe your writing process. Although you struggle with your writing at times, I believe your willingness to improve and evolve is a step in the right direction. As you stated in your post, you understand the importance of writing. Once writers understand why it is so important to write, they find motivation to accept the writing challenges that lie ahead. You are taking a step in the right direction, keep moving forward on your journey!